Tuesday 24 May 2011

Teaching

After so many updates about all of the amazing sights I have seen whilst being here in China, I thought it was about time I gave a good overview of what exactly I am doing here. As I have said in previous updates, I am volunteering here in China with a charity called "Lattitude Global Volunteering". Teaching English to students from ages 13-17, ranging from teaching spoken English to our culture.

My average week consist of teaching just over 600 students. I have around 2 hours of teaching a day, but sometimes that can also go up to around 5 hours a day. So although it may seem like I am on one big holiday, I really am volunteering full time out here. At the start of most weeks I tend to plan my lessons. Recently I have been teaching about music genre, dreams and aspirations, the Royal family and about western festivals. I actually find planning a lesson very difficult, its so important to inspire the students here to learning English as having a good knowledge of the language could really see them gain an excellent job. I try to be comical, that's the kind of teacher I am. It's important to set the right tone in the classroom, the students are here to learn but a big theme throughout Chinese schools is that everyone is too shy to answer anything you ask them! So by breaking the ice with some random bad joke or telling them a quick story about how my Chinese can sometimes get me in very strange situations normally relaxes them and they are keen to talk to the blonde English boy!

When I teach a lesson I normally have a game for the first part and then for about half an hour teach vocabulary , show pictures relating to the topic, oral practise and a little written work too. One of the hardest things I find about teaching is making sure the students are doing my work and not some of the homework from another subject. It didn't take me too long to realise how much homework is set here but it was a big step for me to be a figure of authority and take work off students so they can concentrate on English. Some students excel in my lessons to a level that is unreal, but most really struggle and I often find myself repeating many things. This may sound really frustrating but the rewards are worth every single moment.

Sometimes I will have to teach at 7:50am which is tough! but then some days I won't teach until the afternoon which is great. Not only do I have formal lessons with the students but 3 times a week I run an "English Corner". This is basically an hour slot after school where students can meet me and have a chat about anything. I have actually had some really great talks with the kids. The younger students just like to play games but the older students who are a similar age to me like to talk about how teenagers are treated in England, what are the western views on topics such as homosexuality and the Chinese one child policy. I do however stress that I let the students start these sorts of topics as its very easy to get yourself in a bit of a problem if you begin a conversation about these things and say, politics. But I have been so impressed and amazed at some of the views of students and I really enjoy hearing the opinions of the Chinese teenager.

If you ever think about Volunteering in China it's very difficult to truly know what you are in for. The education system is slick and full of pressure. Getting a good job is vital and dreaming of one day going abroad is something that you will hear everyday. Due to the media and the government here, its tough to really know what China will have in store for you. I didn't realise how happy people would be here but also how much poverty there is. I am placed in the south west of China, possibly the poorest region. I did not really know what to expect but I have seen poverty at its worst but I have also met some of the happiest people I have ever known. I have seen sights, taught my language and appreciated life. All this in just your average week in China!

No comments:

Post a Comment