Saturday 7 May 2011

A night of Luxury

So I was about half way through my time here in china at this point. It was time for our charity to check up on us all, see how we are all doing, if we are decent teachers and to sort out any issues with the school we had. Helen, the lady who was chosen to visit and who incidentally picked all of the schools for us to work in came to see me. It started with a few questions about how I was doing, taking a few pictures, using my loo. You know, the usual way meetings pan out.
Once we had a chat we went to visit my head master. No one spoke English so with my new Chinese skills all I could really pick up was that I was a good teacher and the kids like me, mission accomplished!  Then I had to get back to the reason I am here, to inspire and teach Chinese children the joys of our language and culture. Helen also sat at the back of my class just taking a few notes and making sure I was doing ok with the kids. With some very nice feedback on my teaching and me feeling positively smug, we went to have dinner with all of the senior staff of my school. An epic meal was had.

Then we shared a car to the local town of E’shan, China would describe it as small, but it’s pretty damn huge.  This is where Nat and Zoe teach, unlike my school, theirs is not number one. Haha. To my surprise the school had put me up in one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in! The room was HUGE. The bed was HUGE. The T.V. was HUGE. The Bathroom was…surrounded by glass walls. Awkward!

I did however abuse every free luxury that was on offer, slept for a solid 15 hours and walked around naked in the privacy of my 11 story high room. This was such a nice break after roughing it in my apartment (check out my facebook for the epic killing of the Rat I found in my Kitchen). After a relaxing night and a present of Cadbury mini eggs from Helen, (life saver!) I made my way back to Yuxi and back to teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment