Tuesday 17 May 2011

An introduction to Chinese bubble milk tea...

When ever a student asks me if I want some milk tea, I normally leap at the chance to have some milk in my tea! Traditionally, "Cha" or "tea" in English, is drank as dried tea leaves and boiling water. That's it. No milk, no sugar. When I first arrived I really did not enjoy any of the tea but with time, like most things, it grew on me. But now China has a poor version of the beloved English cup of tea called...Bubble Milk Tea.


When you come to China its pretty apparent that dairy products are not a common thing here and the milk that they do provide is just down right awful. So they invent this drink, bubble milk tea. Instead of using animals milk they tend to mix a whole tub of condensed milk into the tea. It really is better than it sounds, but so disappointing all at the same time. It can be drank cold or hot and it doesn't end there. You can flavours ranging from strawberry all the way to chocolate milk tea. Basically really cold, sweet tea with strawberry flavour added to it. Oh if that wasn't enough for your gag reflex they also put these tiny, bland, gelatine-like balls in the bottom of the drink. They are suppose to be the "bubbles" in your tea and are made from tapioca. If the sweet tea doesn't make you want to throw up, they sure as hell will!





..Look tasty?!




Sorry to do a whole post on tea, but I'm so tired of the Chinese assuming this is how our tea in England tastes, therefore buy me one all the time and bring it to my flat. Nice thought, shame about the taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment