Thursday 10 February 2011

10 days until departure!

These last few weeks have gone so fast. I thought I had so much time to get ready and pack but as per usual I seem to have left most things until the last minute! I've been thinking a lot about all the essential things I should be taking and I'm trying to get into the mind frame of "if I don't use it here, I won't use it there". I've been reading a lot on the web about what I should realistically be taking with me to China and found a great website called 'What to Pack' which has put a lot into perspective for me.

Clothes wise I'll probably take a weeks worth of clothes and take advantage of the washing machine the school I'm staying with will provide. Although, unlike other's, I decided to choose a hard case instead of a back pack I still am trying to pack as light as possible to make the transition through China and over to Japan as easy as possible for me. I know its going to be pretty hot whilst I'm there (it's already 70 degrees and climbing!) in my area so I don't plan on taking any heavy weight jumpers/fleeces. Also we got told that we need to be smart casual when we're teaching in the school so I'm going to have to invest in a decent pair of Birkenstock's as rocking up to teach in my neon orange Crocs simply wont do!

Regarding medical supplies, I've already had my jabs for a few years now from when I went over to Thailand so that was some money saved! But I need to invest in some malaria tablets, which unfortunately I'll have to take everyday whilst I'm out there. Due to being so accident prone and clumsy I've taken it upon myself to invest in a pretty well packed first aid kit. No doubt I'll be the one person to get food poisoning or break a bone while we're out there. I have how ever been forbidden by my mum to do anything remotely adrenaline pumping in China, so that's parachuting and bungee jumping off the cards! Then again what she doesn't know won't hurt her!

So the flight is going to be roughly 12-13 hours long until we get to Hong Kong. Luckily Becca and I took it upon ourselves to completely check over all the films/music/t.v. on offer on the Cathay Pacific flight! After all the stuff we plan on watching, the flight won't be long enough! The flight is at 11:25am on the 21st, so luckily I wont have to get up at a ridiculous hour as I'm staying at a hotel down near Heathrow the night before! If you know me, I simply just don't do early starts. Full stop.

So whilst I'm getting packed and prepared for the travelling side of the trip, I also need to get some school supplies, the basics  you would expect and a decent planner for my lesson plans. I found out that I will be teaching 3 lesson's a day, all of which will be an hour long ! So I defiantly won't be short of things to do. I am starting to get really nervous about the teaching side of the trip, I just don't want to disappoint them all! I know if I do a good job out there it could change a lot of the students lives. Oh and on the theme of what I'm going to do in China, I invested in possibly the greatest guidebook I have ever had 'The Lonely Planet Guide to China'  This book has literally become my bible, it has everything in it! From places to see, bus times, prices, places to stay and places to eat. It's great. Although its full of notes and cards splitting up the important things I want to see, its so hard to decide what's simply 'too far' away. I know it sounds crazy but to put things into perspective a journey that takes up to about an hour here to an attraction would take about an 8 hour bus ride in China as everything is soooo spaced apart. The great news is it cost's around £5 for a 12hour bus journey so I should be able to see all the things I want!

So that's it for now. I'll probably update the night before the flight/ in the airport and if I can find some wireless internet, try and get an entry done in Hong Kong!....wish me luck with my huge amount of packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment